aughty.org fáilte | welcome
  • Slieve Aughty satellite photo
    Site hosted by myhost.ie
    News | Noticeboard
    DEFINITIONS
    As we proceed, the Arra Mts. rise on the rt., on which also are Derry Castle, and the Church and ruins of the fortress of Castlelough. On the 1. are Tinarana Church, and beyond the Slieve Bernagh Mts. rise between Killaloe and Scariff; the result is a pretty mountain valley, through which flows the river Graney, rising in a considerable tarn called Lough Graney, and, when near Scariff, passing through Lough O'Grady, whence it emerges as the Scariff River. Advantage has been taken of this valley to form a line of road to the little town of Tulla. The Lough widens between Aughinish Point and Castlelough, and opens on the 1. into Scariff Bay, which contains the most beautiful part of its scenery.
    At the head of the bay is Scariff, a charmingly situated little town, near the junction of 2 important roads: 1. From Woodford and Mountshannon to Killaloe; 2. From Ennis and Tulla.
    On the northern shore is the little village of Mountshannon (8 m.). nestling at the foot of Knockeven, 1242 ft., and adjoining the village, are the prettily wooded grounds of Woodpark. This is an excellent spot for the lake fishing and one of the best during the dapping season. The autumn pike fishing is also good, and nice accommodation with boats is to be had at the Hotel. The antiquary should land at Mountshannon for the purpose of visiting Iniscaltra, or Holy Island (Inis-Cealtra, the Island burying-place), so remarkable for its very interesting Churches and Round Tower. In the 7th cent. St. Caimin visited it, and established a monastery which became famed for its sanctity and learning, St. Caimin himself having written a commentary on the Psalms.
    Opposite the Island is Youghal Bay, and here the Lough is widest. it again greatly narrows and on the shores of the little bay at Dromineer. into which the Nenagh River falls, are the ruins of Dromineer Castle and Shannonvale. This is now an important landing-place for Nenagh (4½m.) and district. On the opposite shore are Meelick House and the harbour of Williamstown, famous as an angling resort.
    On 1., situated at the foot of one of the wooded spurs of Slieveanore. is the little town of Woodford (4 m. from the lake), from whence a small river runs into the Shannon at Rossmore. Iron-ore was at one time extensively worked in this neighbourhood: and its very frequent concomitant, a chalybeate well, used to attract a good many people. Near it is "Saunders Fort", famous in Land League days for its 10 days' siege by military and police.

    Handbook for Travellers in Ireland, 1906
    Read more...

    Detail from the Lizars map of Ireland, 1831.
    Above: detail from the Lizars map of Ireland, 1831.
    Map © Cartography Associates, from the Rumsey Collection.

    Left: detail from satellite photo (click for larger version).

    Charon (MIT Project) 1989, James Coleman ©